| || |
| |Sorry, this page has moved!
Please click here to go to the new location.
Welcome to the City of Whittier. We are pleased that you are considering Whittier for the location of your business.
This page is intended as a summary of information you will need to know in order to operate a business in the City. The guide is not all-inclusive. If you have questions please contact the Business License Division at (562) 567-9880 or see the FAQ's page.
The City of Whittier requires all businesses operating in the City to pay an annual business license tax. Any person who conducts any business, trade, profession, calling or occupation in the city is required to obtain a license whether or not the physical business address is in or outside the City.
Hours of Operation
Daily from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. (closed from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.).
Business License Requirements
- Owners of businesses located within the city limits need approval from our Planning Division and must apply in person
- Businesses must have a physical address, P.O. Box and mail collection services can only be used as mailing addresses
- Businesses located outside the City limits may apply by mail
- Separate licenses must be obtained for each branch establishment or separate place of business
- Whittier Municipal Code Section 18.10.02 regulates businesses based out of the home. Contact the Planning Division of the Community Development Department at (562) 567-9320 for the regulations.
- Business licenses must be posted or exhibited in a conspicuous place at the business location
- Mobile businesses must carry their license while conducting business in the City
- Businesses using a name other than their own must apply for a ficticious business name (DBA) and attach a copy of the certificate to the business license application
Business License Renewal
The City of Whittier offers online license renewal for most businesses. Due to land use and other requirements, not all businesses are able to renew online. Businesses eligible for online renewal will have a PIN number on the bottom right corner of their renewal form. This PIN number, along with the license number, are needed to renew online by credit card. The online renewal process includes review of all license information and the ability to update the mailing address, phone numbers and other contact information. If there is a change in ownership or business address, the renewal must be completed in person. If your business is based on gross receipts, have the gross receipts total available to enter and the tax will be calculated for you. Licenses can be renewed online up to six (6) months after the expiration date. If the tax is paid after the one month grace period, penalties due will be calculated and can be paid online too.
| || |